CIVIL RIGHTS LITIGATION
Representation of plaintiffs and defendants in claims arising pursuant to state and federal constitutions and statutes, including Human Relations Acts, Civil Rights Acts, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and the Older Workers Benefits Protection Act.
Examples of our representation in this practice area include:
• In a sex discrimination action, Sprague & Sprague obtained a multimillion dollar verdict on behalf of a female police detective and several male colleagues who were retaliated against when they supported the female detective.
• We secured a settlement of over half a million dollars for a victim of sexual harassment at one of the country’s leading insurance companies without the necessity of filing a formal complaint.
• We successfully defended a church in state and federal courts against allegations by another church of civil rights violations arising from the distribution of trust funds.
• We successfully defended a private development company and its officers and directors in a putative class action civil rights lawsuit brought by citizens of a locality for allegedly violating the citizens’ constitutional rights in connection with the approval process for a development.
• Sprague & Sprague successfully tried a housing discrimination case in federal court, where a jury found that two property owners involved in the lease of a condominium discriminated against our clients, a Jewish couple, on the basis of their religion. We were also successful in having the jury’s substantial compensatory and punitive damages award to our clients upheld by the District Court and the United States Court of Appeals.
Sprague & Sprague 135 S. 19th Street, Suite 400 Philadelphia, PA 19103