Representation of employers and employees in claims involving breach of employment agreements, wrongful termination, sexual harassment and age, race, disability, gender and religious discrimination; non-competition agreements; and employee benefits.
Examples of our representation in this practice area include:
• Sprague & Sprague successfully represented a highly experienced, successful and elite group of dedicated law enforcement agents and settled the agents’ claims of age discrimination on an amicable basis such that they were able to continue to perform their important work after receiving monetary compensation for the discrimination they endured under a prior administration.
• The Firm obtained a multi-million dollar judgment for a public employee wrongfully terminated in violation of the Pennsylvania Whistleblower Law. The judgment was one of the largest in Pennsylvania history under the state’s whistleblower statute and made new law in the process. After prevailing at trial, the firm successfully defended the verdict before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court which, in a unanimous decision, confirmed that employees who are retaliated against for reporting significant waste or wrongdoing are entitled to recover, not only their direct financial losses, but also non-economic losses such as embarrassment, humiliation, loss of reputation and mental anguish. This was an issue of first impression for any appellate court in Pennsylvania, and the Supreme Court’s decision was a significant victory for whistleblowers in this Commonwealth.
• We successfully represented at trial and on appeal a prominent professor and research scientist whose contract and academic freedom were violated by a university and several of its top administrators, securing a multimillion dollar recovery for our client.
• The Firm successfully represented before a federal court of appeals a male victim of sex discrimination by an Ivy League university in its hiring for an NCAA Division I head coach position.
• In a sex discrimination action, Sprague & Sprague obtained a multimillion dollar verdict on behalf of a female police detective and several colleagues who were retaliated against when they supported the female detective.
• We secured a settlement of over half a million dollars for a victim of sexual harassment at one of the country’s leading insurance companies without the necessity of filing a formal Complaint.
• The Firm successfully settled a wrongful termination and defamation action on behalf of a well-known performing artist.
Sprague & Sprague 135 S. 19th Street, Suite 400 Philadelphia, PA 19103